Monday, April 02, 2007

Reaching Churched People?

Planting a new church has been and continues to be one of the great blessings in my life. Church plants tend to get a lot of criticism, especially from other churches and Christians:
--"You are stealing church members" (Perry Noble addressed that here)
--"We have already have enough churches."
--"If you would just {insert: just do what I like} then I'd join your church."

Now I've learned (as has every other church planter with a BIG VISION) that you have to listen to God and go all out for DISCONNECTED people. But every church plant will have some 'churched' people transfer to their plant. At Rock Bridge we have historically seen anywhere from 50-60% of our new members be UNchurhed. At our last Inquirer's Lunch 60% of the people there were not in church before Rock Bridge ... and that is what we love.

But what about the other 40% of people? I have watched an interesting dynamic take place. Do you turn these people away? What is God doing in the lives of Christians who leave a church to join yours?

First, make it hard for churched people to join your church.
We require that everyone go to an Inquirer's Lunch. We do things in church that might make the 'churchy' types uncomfortable ... anything from the songs we sing to the way we sing them to out-of-the-box dramas to casual dress ... it all forces people to think about a "different way to do church".

Second, realize that God may be actually leading them to come to your church.
There are a whole lot of Christians who are spiritually malnourished, who week in and week out sit through another irrelevant, uninspiring church service out of obligation.
They wonder, "Is this the way church is supposed to be?"
They read the Bible which they wholeheartedly accept and believe, and wonder,
"Why are people NOT getting saved in my church like they did in Acts?
Why isn't my church growing?
Why is the most significant thing I am asked to do is to serve on some committee that doesn't really do anything?"

Then they show up at a new church with less restrictions, less traditions, but with more vision and something gets ignited in their souls. The music feels like a victory has been won (duh ... empty tomb!) instead of feeling like you are on the Baton Death March. They actual understand the message and might actually be able to apply it to their life. They leave challenged and inspired not bored and tired. They hear stories of life change and salvation.
They leave thinking, "Maybe this is sort of what church is supposed to be like?"

Third, some healthy Christians who are genuinely seeking Christ will be attracted to healthy, Christ-centered church plants.

--I think about a guy who recently joined Rock Bridge. He shows up at "O dark thirty" to put signs out around our campus. Yesterday, I thanked him and he replied, "No thank you for letting me serve."

--I think about J.M. who wanted to see people saved in church and came alongside Beth & I about 5 years ago. Now he and his wife say, "God had us ready. At age 72, thank God we did not get to miss what we have experienced at Rock Bridge."

--I think about my parents who were happy where they were but have always supported my brother and I. They both serve every week at RBCC. This journey with them is a great blessing for both of us.

--I think about others who came for the first time because their husband or kids actually wanted to go to church.

--I think about some who after years of legalism and guilt in other churches, finally tasted God's amazing grace.

--I think about some leaders from other churches who got saved at Rock Bridge.

--I think of long-time Christians who never tithed or gave sacrifically to the strategic cause of Christ but have now done so only to understand first hand that you really can't "outgive God."

--I think about "Ned Flanders" (see post here.)

So at Rock Bridge, we'll keep going all out to reach disconnected, unchurched people. They will always be our target.
But we'll still make room for anyone who is hungry for Christ, sold out to God's vision for Rock Bridge, and crazy enough to be radical for the Kingdom.